History of the Soil Conservation Districts
Following the devastation of the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt recommended the Standard State Soil Conservation Districts Act be signed into law by all state governors. This act gave states a step-by-step guide to create conservation districts and listing their powers and responsibilities. The first conservation district, Brown Creek Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD), was established in North Carolina on August 4, 1937. Arkansas became the first state to enact legislation regarding conservation districts. By July 1, 1945, all 48 states had passed district-enabling acts.
In 1946, LaMoure County voted into law 2 Soil Conservation Districts: East LaMoure County Soil Conservation District and West LaMoure County Soil Conservation District. In 1990 the two districts merged into one.
For more information on the History of the Soil Conservation Districts, click here.